This Page

has been moved to new address

Birdwatching

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Mogs Travels: Birdwatching

Mogs Travels

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Birdwatching


We had an enjoyable morning on a "Birding for Beginners" walk today. The walks occur on the third Saturday of every month at Kenfig National Nature Reserve not far from our home but this was the first time we'd been on one. It was well attended with about twenty people accompanying the warden who did a great job in educating us. The nature reserve is largely sand dunes surrounding the large Kenfig Pool. There's some scrub and woodland which, as you can see, is nearly as wet as the pool! We wore walking boots but I think I'll be getting myself some wellies before I join the next one!

Most of the birds were too small, too far away or too fast for me to photograph but the gulls were quite obliging as they sat in the sun on the fenceposts. We saw a fair variety of birds the most interesting for me being the snipe and jack snipe, which I'd
never seen before and the sparrowhawk and yellowhammer which I've probably seen but not recognised. I don't think I'll ever get as keen as the regular birders on the walk. They were obsessed with numbers of species seen whereas I get excited at seeing something new. We'll definitely go again & it should be interesting seeing the different species as the seasons change.

Elvie

ps you'd better add birdwatching to yesterday's list!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home