This Page

has been moved to new address

Mince Pies

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Mogs Travels: Mince Pies

Mogs Travels

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Mince Pies

I've done no baking for twenty years. I've always been short of time so it has been easier to buy cakes and pastries than to make them myself. Now I have time! Isn't retirement wonderful? I've made a few cakes of late, particularly Bara Brith a Welsh tea loaf, which have been well received so decided to make my own mince pies this Christmas.

I had to get the recipe book out as I couldn't remember how to make pastry! Anyway I got the equipment and ingredients and followed instructions. Midway, I remembered I could have used the food processor but I'm glad I did it by hand, it's truly my own work. First batch came out of the oven and did not look pretty!

I'd put too much mincemeat in them and it had all bubbled out and got slightly burnt! Only slightly though they are still edible! At least the pastry is nice and light and thin! Second batch are better, only half of them boiled over! Now I have a dilemma, do I give these to visitors or do I eat them ALL myself and do another even better batch? I have a dozen friends coming around for a Christmas get together next Monday so do they get these mince pies with burnt bits or do they get version 3?

Elvie

Labels:

2 Comments:

At December 20, 2008 at 5:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll take one of each batch to verify the improvement in your skills !!

Troggy

 
At December 21, 2008 at 10:12 AM , Blogger singletrack said...

Just give the visitors extra drinks and no-one will notice the colour of the mince pies.

Or give these to your boys and get some M&S ones for the visitors!
Have a good Christmas.

A&A

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home